15 rare Victorian pictures that will make you look at the 1800s with different eyes
While 90% of the images we capture today are either jokes or downright ridiculous when we think of vintage photos we are used to imagining austere poses, set faces, and fascinating environments.
At a time when getting your picture taken was a social and economic privilege more than a custom, we would think that to joke in front of the camera lens would be considered to be rather offensive.
Nothing could be more mistaken! The photo gallery that we show you today, mostly taken in the second half of the 1800s, shows another face of the Victorian era, a lively and entertaining face that we certainly did not expect.
1. Then just like today, it was difficult to remain serious ...
2. An alternative way to serve tea ...
3. Choreographed dancing
4. Snow and Ice sculptures
6. Three male --- Yale students dressed as women
7. An alternative group photo!
8. Apparently, the Russian Czar Nicolas II liked to joke too!
9. Making funny faces ... in the Victorian era!
10. "Try to stay serious ..."
11. Beautiful manifestations of love in 1879
12. A lady ... suspended in the air!?
13. A classic photo at the seaside
14. Richard von Krafft-Ebing is reported to be the first psychiatrist to deal with sexual behaviors.
In short, the nineteenth century was not as austere as we have always thought it to be!